June 16, 2010

Trollbloods!

With Hordes Mk2 just around the corner I've been thinking a lot about what army i want to do.
Ever since i saw the Dire Troll Mauler miniature I've been hooked on the idea of doing a Trollblood force just so i can have one of these bad boys on the table. I've tried a couple of times to get started but something always crops up – car needs fixing, new washing machine ect.. Finally after finishing up a painting contract for a mate I've had enough spare cash to order an army.  Thanks to the current strength of the Kiwi dollar (or perhaps a better way of putting it is the weakness of overseas currencies) means buying war gaming products has never been so good.  I have ordered my troll bits form a couple of sources. The first is Maelstrom Games the second is Wayland Games both of these online retailers offer free shipping on most if not all of their items so i highly recommend you check them out and get yourself a great deal whilst the going is good!
After much deliberation and reading the stats again and again i decided to build a force mainly built up of units of smaller infantry who’s skills should compliment each other and most importantly keep my war caster alive!
This is what I've decided on for my 35pt force:
Madrak Ironhide (epic) +5 points
Dire Troll Mauler                                                9 points.
6 Kreil warriors                                                 4 points.
1 Kreil Caber Thrower                                      1 point.
1 Krielstone Bearer and 3 Stone scribes          3 points.
6 Pyg Burrowers                                              4 points.
6 Pyg Bushwhackers                                        5 points.
3 Trollkin Champions                                        6 points.
10 Trollkin Fenblades                                       8 points.

Total:  40 points
It should be an interesting army to play with only one war beast and a small horde of warriors.
All my miniatures have shipped so now all i need to do is wait for them to turn up. Hopefully i will have the whole army in my hands by this time next week.
Anyone out there reading this who plays Trollbloods I'd be keen to know what you think of the list I’ve designed – feel free to point out any possible flaws.  (Personally I'm not convinced about the Kreil Warriors but i really like the miniatures so I'm prepared to give them a go.)

2 comments:

Kevin Barrett said...

There is a lot of buzz around our office for the new Hordes rules...we've been playing with the beta rules for a while. Looks like we have two players who are investing in a troll army. My team is Everblight...so good luck with yours!

Kevin in Edmonton.

Rob said...

It's sounding like a mean army, I'll have to do some research and balance out my Cryx army for a good match up. :-) your gonna be in for a whipping from my Raider girls.. that's for sure :-) just ordered them, will post up my list later tonight.